The Sensible Knave

"I do not see that we are further along today than where Hume left us. The Humean predicament is the human predicament." - W.V.O. Quine

Friday, September 08, 2006

Never mind

Just as I was planning to put together another rebuttal, I saw that this nonsense has been been shredded so thoroughly that there is a nary a scrap to pick apart further. I had been arguing that the figures in the map, even if they were accurate, did not support the grim conclusions being drawn. Now we see that even the premise of the argument is deeply flawed.

The credulity of supposedly trained critical thinkers we've seen here is astounding. You would think that if academic philosophy doesn't impart any practical knowledge, it would at least instill the practical virtue of skepticism.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are back writing. I have read your interesting blog from the beginning.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, whoever you are. It's nice to be back.

- Andrew

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to excuse myself from the trouble of going through all that fact-checking out of the sheer volume of work to second-guess everything I read.

I wonder what are, though, the ramifications of this. A person like me would see the map, take the point and move on merely because it matches with something we already hold to be true (the recession). Whilst it's not unreasonable not to second-guess something, or everything, that reinforces one's beliefs, at the same time it can be detrimental.

P.S: My robot can beat the second captcha.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

|

<< Home